DIY Button Up Knotted Razor Back Tank using a mens dress shirt!
Photo roll is in order of instructions below, sorry I used my iphone instead of my DSLR.
Materials Needed: A mens dress shirt that is a fabric you like and that fits you decently (pick one up at the thrift store or steal one from the man in your life), Scissors, Pins, Thread, A sewing machine and an Iron.
1. Cut the collar off of the dress shirt and save it because it will be used later in the project.
2. Cut off the sleeves starting at the arm pit and angling your cut to where a tank top would sit. Keep in mind mens dress shirts are made for bigger shoulders and you want to remove that bulk to make a more feminine fit.
3. Try the shirt on and pin where you want the scoop neck to be. A pin and the deepest part and a pin on either side where the scoop will reach out to. Then remove the shirt and cut the scoop all the way around in a circle (meaning behind the neck again).
4. In the back of the shirt you are going to want to make the razor back more severe. Cut again from the arm pits inwards and out again until it matches your previous cut at the shoulder.
5. Now you want to hem all of your raw edges. Put your iron on steam mode and iron all your raw edges a 1/4” thick. Then base stitch all of your ironed edges.
6. Now for the knot. take the collar piece and wrap it around the smallest part of the razor back. Wrap it from the top down and back up again so that the ends of the collar meet at the back and then just base stitch them together so it is hidden while you are wearing the shirt.
7. The last step is to try it on and make sure it fits the way you want. Is it still sagging a bit in the bust or shoulders? Try taking up the straps a bit, taking in the sides of the top and if those aren’t going to work you may want to add a dart on either side around the bust area. You could even shorten the top if you like.
8. If you have lace. It might be cute to so the knot in the back with lace instead or to sew lace over one of the pockets in the front for a feminine touch.
9. Viola! now you have a cute new summer top, that is not only original, but you saved an old piece of clothing in the process.